Thursday 24 July 2014

The squashed aorta



The squashed aorta

Something happened the other night. I went to bed and found myself about as comfortable as someone trying to get to sleep on a small melon. Over the course of a couple of days, my bit-squishy is-she-isn't-she tum had turned into a proper bump.

Now I don't know if anyone has ever done this, but trying to get to sleep on a melon just doesn't really work. So the sensible thing to do is to sleep on your back - that way the melon doesn't feel hard and uncomfortable beneath you and you're not trying to work around it on your sides. Not hugely comfortable but also not not life threatening...or so you would think....

Google tells me that for the last week not only have I been restricting the blood flow to my aorta and vena cava which are major blood vessels (christ!), but I've also been damaging my spine, not breathing properly, not letting my digestive system work as it should and lowering my blood pressure.

I have been feeling dizzy too which I immediately put together with the low blood pressure and give myself another gold star for my outstanding medical knowledge. So the fix for this? SOS - sleep on side. Or 'The bump friendly position' if you add some strategically placed pillows. What a relief there is a cure for my squashed aorta and uncomfortableness. PHEW. 

And a plus of this, if I sleep on my left side the baby gets more blood and nutrients. Yum! 


ps: to all those 'oh you just wait if you think the small melon is bad' people - pt. 2 of things that annoy me coming soon ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment